Sunday, January 13, 2008

Confinement and Appreciation

One down, five more to go! The past week had been a living misery as I’m literally living by the day and counting down to the day when my “leg cover” would finally be off. Prior to fracturing my calf bone which called for the need to be put in cast, I’d always wondered how it would be like to walk with crutches. Now that I’ve had the privilege (or rather curse) to experience it myself, I’ve got the answer to that question and it’s simply “frustrating”.

The first couple of days were still bearable but by the fourth day, I was already in agony; eagerly looking forward to the day the orthopedist would remove the cast. To start off with, moving around is a hassle and I’ve been under “house arrest” or confined to the four walls of my bedroom most of the times bar dinner time when I have to take a 5 minute climb down one flight of stairs. On days when I chose to turn up at the office, I dread the thought of having to collect printouts from the printer which is just stationed less than 10 meters away. The crutches which were supposed to be my “temporary legs” definitely does not make life any easier as the friction against my body each time I move around is making me sore. The list of misery and inconvenience goes on and I haven’t even started narrating the experience of taking a shower with just one leg!

Nonetheless, I’ve had more reading times that before and have flipped through every single page of the local dailies (including the classified section) apart from some other junk books I would not mention too much off. What caught my attention was an article in The Star on mock funerals held in Korea where “healthy and living” individuals are placed in a coffin and buried for 15 minutes with the intent of making one realize the importance of life and not to let a moment while past without living live to the fullest. This “out of the box” remedy is fast becoming a fad in certain parts of the world but I doubt it would be well received in a country like Malaysia where taboos and belief in the supernatural is still very much part of our daily lives.

Relating this back to my own experience, the confinement that I’m going through is perhaps an indication for me to learn how to truly appreciate what I have. Friends who offered to come pick me up for drinks and meals and family members taking turns, buying me lunch and delivering it to me are a sign I should appreciate these people more. Not to mention a sister who’s been kind enough to chauffeur me around town and hardly saying no to any requests - no matter how ridiculous some could be such as driving through crazy traffic, heading from one part of town to the other so that I can hunt down the best deal for a PS3. I would not even attempt to start talking about how appreciative I am of the fact that I am physically abled (for most part of the year) with the liberty to commute around and to do things that my heart desires.

Well, I guess a broken leg and being confined does have its perks but none could be as valuable as the reminder for us to appreciate and cherish what we would most often take for granted. Word of advise from a “temporarily handicapped” person is that we are all truly blessed with many great things in life that we hardly notice. My immobility had given me the opportunity to realize this and I’m thankful for this reminder for I might have just went on without realizing it until when it’s too late.

We should all start living life and be appreciative of what we have. A nincompoop would be able to figure the importance of doing so and I think we’re all sensible enough to realize this without the need to lie in a coffin for 15 minutes in the context of a mock funeral. I sure am glad I broke my leg for now I’m realizing things I might have missed out on.

On a separate note, someone recently commented that I should have had more time to post and blabber about nothing these days considering that I’m confined to home. I initially thought this would have been the case too but somehow, it turned out to be quite the exact opposite. My rationale for this could be illustrated in the equation below:

C (HA) = NO = BLIT = NFIOWTW

To save one from guessing which could potentially lead to various funny or probably indecent thoughts, the equation can be simply translated to confinement or house arrest leads to no outings which would then result to being less in touch as a result of limited interaction with others. The end result of all this is that I have no freaking inspiration on what to write which explains the lack of postings.

By the way, this is just a cover up for the truth lies in the fact that I’ve been spending a lot more time APPRECIATING my new toy – PS3
!

1 comment:

Beta said...

Let me first offer to take you out for drinks, just to stay in your good books. God, things that one has to do to keep friends !!!

On a critical note, avoid typos. They are like bad packaging. You wouldnt want your PS3 to come in bad packaging, would you?