Friday, January 4, 2008

Break a Leg - for Luck!

As defined by Wikipedia, “Break a leg” is a well-known saying in theatre which means “good luck” and it is typically said to actors before they go out onto stage to perform. The expression is a theatrical superstition that replaces the phrase “good luck”, which is considered bad luck. Over time, the expression is used outside the theatre as superstitions and customs travel through other professions and then into common use.

If using the phrase itself were to indicate good luck, it seems that I’m all set for a great (or maybe a superb) year! Being a firm believer of the fact that action speaks louder than words, I literally broke a leg with a fracture on my fibula or otherwise known as calf bone. If breaking a bone by itself was not a strong enough indication for better things ahead, the nature by which I broke it should seal the deal. Within 5 seconds of kickoff in my regular weekly football game, I was already sprawling on the ground when a player from the opposing team somehow or rather mistook my leg for the ball. Till now, I’m still left wondering which part of my leg seems round enough to resemble a ball!

Breaking a leg (for luck) in a football game in less than 5 seconds from kickoff on the second day of the New Year must surely rank way up there and I’m already getting excited with the prospects of what else is in store for the year. Probability of breaking a leg in a football game is probably in the region of 2% if not lower. Multiply that with the fact that it happened in the 5th second of a 90 minute game on the second day of a leap year and any mathematician would be able to share with you that the probability of such an incident happening is 0.00001% or 1 in 9,882,000 to be exact.

Considering that Malaysia has a population of approximately 27 million or in the circa of 30 million if we were to include our friends from Indonesia, Bangladesh and some other countries who entered the country via the backdoor, I would probably be 1 out of 3 “lucky” ones. With the (former) Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek taking the other spot for the recent revelation of his “kinky” encounters, there could only be one spot left. In case one is wondering why he would be the other “lucky” one, think about the number of politicians who made it as a minister and multiply that by the probability of being caught with his pants down. Having done the arithmetics, he probably deserves top spot since the likelihood of that happening is even lower still.

Back to the topic of luck leading to a superb year, all that I’ve scribbled above were probably nonsensical. Whilst I do belief that luck does play a part in most things, I’ve came to realize that luck fancies those who at least make an effort to get lucky. In the “Book of Luck”, the authors Heather Summers and Anne Watson wrote “If you want to be lucky, remember it lies in your own hands. Even if we can’t control the events that happen to us, we can control our reaction to them and therefore the results. Choosing to view events as good luck makes the impossible become possible. And the opposite is also true – viewing events as bad luck makes the possible impossible.” In that context, breaking a leg, elbow, neck or any other part of the body would not really matter for it all boils down to what’s in the mind.

Even before the turn of the year, I’ve pre-conditioned my mind that 2008 would be a great year and I would not let Mr “I thought you leg was the ball” or anyone else for that matter to get between me and a great 2008. Looking at the bright side of things, I’ve got 14 days of medical leave and getting offered to be chauffeured around for the next 6 weeks. Furthermore, my immobility would mean lesser outings which then means more savings which could only mean that I can get my PS3 much earlier than expected. Of course there’s many other perks that comes along with a broken leg but I’ll leave that to you to find out for yourself and if anyone’s keen to do so, I’ll be more than glad to hook you up for the football game next Wednesday. It’s only Day 3 of the New Year but I’m already loving it!

2 comments:

david santos said...

Happy New Year, Sheng! And best wishes for a healthy and successful 2008

Beta said...

One would have thought you would be posting more, now that you are confined to home??