Monday, January 15, 2007

The year that was....

As I look back to the past 12 months, I suddenly realized that I have just breezed through an amazing moment. It was a year that had been filled with challenges, joy and despair, successes and failures, ups and downs and more than anything else, it was a year that has shaped me into the person that I am now. Who I am now would be a different person compared to who I was a year ago. The things that I have experienced and witnessed in the past 12 months would have played a pivotal part in changing my thoughts and beliefs. Despite the fact that I am still supporting the same football club, going to the same carwash, working for the same company and hanging out with the same group of friends, many other things have changed. I no longer do my grocery shopping in the same hypermarket, have stopped calling some of the other guys I used to be talking to very frequently and heck, I’ve even started having grey hair! The list could go on but these are just a few of many other things that would have evolved in the past year.

Looking back at the year that was, I had a remarkable year at work intertwined with a packed social calendar but I have had very little time to myself. As busy as I was attending meetings, planning the integration of new brands that my company had acquired, calling colleagues to check on progress of projects and whether we would meet the sales targets; I was also spending a lot of time moving from one place to another to catch up with friends for drinks after work and to go to the next football game that had been arranged. All this were at the expense of my own personal time as I come to realize that I have had very little time to reflect and perhaps relax.

In the one week break I took away from work in the last week of the year, I suddenly felt a vacuum as there was nothing much to keep me occupied. I did not have any reports to submit, friends to go for lunch with or football games to play. I then realized that I no longer have a favorite pastime or neither was there anything that I was really looking forward to. That came as a wake up call as it then dawned upon me that I have been busy for the past 51 weeks doing something which either had little value for myself or probably didn’t even meant much. Well, work was a big part of my year but at the end of the day, I would want to be remembered as someone who did more than just work. I would also want to have tales to be told that does not relate to work. With that, I started to recollect the things that have happened and hopefully, there would be a lot more to recall.

On a lighter note, that was perhaps an indication that I need to start getting a life…

1 comment:

Stylista said...

ha ha ha.i like the last line. perhaps u r damn right. work and play smart perhaps?

take care babe!