Saturday, January 13, 2007

Reflections from the past…

In a fast-paced environment whereby people are more often than not competing with each other to be the first to reach the finishing line, many of us fail to realize that the rat race we are in is a never-ending one. After getting the promotion that you have been hoping for, it would not be long before you start eyeing an even bigger role. After moving into the dream house, it would not be long before you start having thoughts of how nice it would be if only the front yard was a big bigger and if only the ceiling was a big higher. The list goes on…. Desires and wants very quickly become a thing of the past the moment we get hold of it and it would then be replaced with a new list altogether. There have always been and there will always be a list of demands and wishes which we would want and this is part of the human nature where greed lies in one corner of the soul. The more elusive something is, the more we would want to get hold of it.

Whilst I have come to live with the fact that greed is inseparable from mankind, I have also come to realize that we should never cease to take a step back to be thankful of what we currently have and to reflect on the past. Most if not all the great individuals that I have come to know, met or read about are appreciative of what they currently have but similarly, this group of people whom I have deep admiration and respect for always have their sights on the next thing that are currently still eluding them. The one thing that is evading them now is their beacon of hope and what gives them the motivation to get out off bed the following morning to live yet another day.

As we sojourn from the previous year and move into a new one, I started reflecting over the past 12 months. Prior to this, I have put little thoughts on how things were going on in the year that was. Perhaps, I was just too busy running the never-ending rat race. Perhaps, I sub-consciously chose to ignore what was happening around me. Or perhaps, I was just too engrossed with chasing after my desires and wants to the extent that I had forgotten to savor the moment I was in. A friend recently reminded me that life is a journey and that we should always stop to smell the roses.

The birth of this blog marks the inauguration of my journal to pen down my thoughts as I step forward to embrace yet another day.

No comments: