Sunday, December 2, 2007

Sabbatical

As I tried to get a proper understanding of the word “Sabbatical”, I referred to my Oxford dictionary and I was enlightened by the history from which this word was derived. Sabbatical comes from the word Sabbath which is a day of rest and religious observance kept by Christians on Sundays, Jews on Saturdays and Muslims on Fridays. There’s a whole load more to this word but in recent times, sabbaticals have been widely understood as an extended leave of absence. Based on my own interpretation, it is for a much longer period than the annual leave would grant and the only difference between a sabbatical and MIA (Missing In Action) is that the former is formally granted.

Back track a bit and one might wonder why I have suddenly developed such a keen interest for this word or any other words for that matter. In all truth and honesty, I was actually trying to find an explanation as to why I have had taken such a long break of absence from posting. (Not that anyone really cared or noticed anyway). Could I probably say that I was on a sabbatical from writing? Or would it sound better if I were to say that I was suffering from “writer’s block”. Either way, it would just be a lame excuse on my end when the actual truth was that I have had plenty of stuff I would have loved to write about but simply could not be bothered to lift my fingers to start hitting on the keyboard.

This would then lead to the next question of why the sudden keenness to write again. As much as I would wish to declare that I have found a new source of inspiration or experienced some life changing moments that needs to be penned down, the truth lies in the fact that I’ve probably been doing a fair bit of reflection and as a million and one thoughts starts running to my mind, I figured that the best thing to do is to pen it down. On a separate note, I was also probably influenced by a friend who has started writing all about nothing in an interesting manner though he would claim that his writings were devoted to life, liberty and happiness of pursuit as stated in his blog
http://resident-dormitus.blogspot.com

Moving back to the word sabbatical, my personal definition for it would probably be “in avoidance” or “false escapism” as I struggle to understand why someone would need to take a long break of absence unless if it is under circumstances beyond our control which are usually tough and torrid such as the loss or potential loss of a loved one. In recent times, I have come across several acquaintances who have decided to take a long sabbatical in the context of trying to “search for the meaning of life” or “to reflect on it”. From the outlook, it might sound profound and philosophical but one corner of my mind tells me that this is merely an excuse to avoid the daily challenges that we face in the journey of life. A holiday or even an extended break is perfectly fine but with all due respect to those who have been on or planning to go on sabbaticals, my thought that it is a form of escapism would not be altered. Adding on to that, I am in fact a bit ashamed of myself at times when the thought of doing the same did cross my mind.

Now that I have returned from my “sabbatical from writing”, the past couple of months had been an interesting journey with plenty of ups and downs. I have experienced and witnessed so much that the thought of penning these priceless experiences down is by itself getting me all worked up and excited.

1 comment:

Beta said...

Mate - A good restart to the blog, though I disagree with the conclusion of downgrading a sabbatical to such demeaning levels. I would think there will still be circumstances when you need a sabbatical, call it a break or anything else. Such cases can be when you dont like what you are doing and before taking any drastic action, you may want to try something new while in sabbatical. More examples can also be thought of.

On your second last post, I like the simple gestures of friendliness. They certainly go a long way and are very infectious as well.

And thanks for the free publicity :-) Will revert in kind.